Palmyra in Syria is a UNESCO World Heritage Centre. The news is reporting that ISIS has massacred children in this ancient capital.
It brought back this memory that I felt compelled to share…
Palmyra. What can one say? The despair I feel is overwhelming. I spent several days alone there when I was writing, researching The Olive Route. I felt no fear, only wonder and joy at finding myself there. It was a magical oasis city with date-palm groves and waving women who always laughed and beckoned me to talk. I remember one evening, climbing up above the city to watch the sunset. Sitting on a big red rock, I looked down upon a group of kids, boys, kicking a football about in and around the ancient ruins glowing in the coppery sunlight. The boys’ cries echoed out into the endless desert. It was memorable. Those boys probably have small brothers and sisters, some might even be young fathers now… they were kids kicking a ball and enjoying downtime after school… And now what? Blood and grief flow through those ancient trading streets. It is unthinkable and I am completely impotent to change it.
I pray for the families of those who have lost their children.
- Interview with Carol Drinkwater, author of the Olive Series The Good Life France. 0
- Interview for WAMC's The Roundtable, Northeast Public Radio USA An award-winning, nationally recognized eclectic talk program. 0
- Where are they now? Actress and author Carol Drinkwater. STAGE and screen actress Carol played Helen Herriot in the popular TV series All Creatures Great And Small (1978-1985) with Robert Hardy, Christopher Timothy and Peter Davison. 0
- The Irish Times, December 2017 From award-winning actor to bestselling author: John Rainsford discovers the emotional outpouring behind the writer’s latest novel. 0
- Carol Drinkwater Lives the Good Life in France (and Writes About It Too) The Thin Reads Interview with Carol Drinkwater, Author of “Hotel Paradise” 0
- 'As a young actress, I would spend everything that I'd earn on travelling…' Irish Indpendent. Louisa McBride interviews Carol Drinkwater. 0
- A Python’s Paradise: Carol Drinkwater Interview A Clockwork Orange 50th anniversary exclusive! 0
- Daily Mail: Emotional ties with actress and author Carol Drinkwater Carol on notebooks, her obsession with olives, getting married in the Cook Islands, showbiz running in the family and her days on All Creatures Great & Small 0