HM Government petition
I, along with many others, including quite a few readers from my Facebook page, signed a petition last year to beg the British government to seriously and in all conscience consider the withdrawal of neonicotinoids pesticides from the market. These chemicals almost certainly damage the nervous systems of bees and other insects. I have already posted the government’s response on this page, which was not only a negative but the numbers they claimed had signed the petition was far short of the figure I saw when I signed.
I believe that in time to come the damage caused to insects, to the environment and to man will be made public. In Return to the Olive Farm, I have recounted stories about the cover-up of asbestos damage to man’s health, which was denied for decades. I believe we are looking at a similar form of cover-up now.
There is a great deal of money being made by chemical companies out of the use of these pesticides. There is also, in my opinion, a great deal of waffle being spoken about what is damaging honey bees
The fact is bees are at risk and time is running out. Read more here
Here is my response to their decision:
I think your decision is disappointing and exceedingly worrying. I am an author, actress and environmental activist and I intend to continue to fight all governments who make such decisions as set out here in your argument. In my opinion you are acting in alliance with the pesticide companies and not making decisions for the future health of the environment or mankind.
I beg you to reconsider.
Beekeepers Fume at Association’s endorsement of fatal insecticides
I think for those who live in Britain and are beekeepers this is a very disappointing news item. There is talk now of setting up an alternative Bee Association. Of course, it was not ALL members who have made the deal with the chemical companies and there will certainly be investigation… All the same, not an inspiring direction for all those who are keen to support the plight of bees…
Do go to my Facebook page, OLIVE FARM, and let me know what you think and PLEASE do consider signing the AVAAZ petition (posted above).
- A Python’s Paradise: Carol Drinkwater Interview A Clockwork Orange 50th anniversary exclusive! 0
- Carol Drinkwater Lives the Good Life in France (and Writes About It Too) The Thin Reads Interview with Carol Drinkwater, Author of “Hotel Paradise” 0
- NAW Interview with Carol Drinkwater New Asian Writing Online Asian Literary Community interviews Carol following the publication of Hotel Paradise 0
- Interview with Carol Drinkwater, author of the Olive Series The Good Life France. 0
- 'As a young actress, I would spend everything that I'd earn on travelling…' Irish Indpendent. Louisa McBride interviews Carol Drinkwater. 0
- Interview for WAMC's The Roundtable, Northeast Public Radio USA An award-winning, nationally recognized eclectic talk program. 0
- Daily Mail: Emotional ties with actress and author Carol Drinkwater Carol on notebooks, her obsession with olives, getting married in the Cook Islands, showbiz running in the family and her days on All Creatures Great & Small 0
- The Irish Times, December 2017 From award-winning actor to bestselling author: John Rainsford discovers the emotional outpouring behind the writer’s latest novel. 0